A crown is a tooth-shaped prosthesis that can be placed on a tooth that needs to be protected, restored, or improved. The cap is made to closely resemble any surrounding teeth to make sure that it would go unnoticed. Despite the availability of other restorative procedures, many people still opt for a crown since it restores not only the damaged structure but also its appearance and functionality.
Crowns have many uses; some are for the restoration of a broken tooth, prevention of extensive decay, holding together the pieces of a cracked tooth, strengthen the tooth despite a large cavity, support a dental bridge, correction of teeth irregularities, and more. Materials commonly used are PFM (porcelain fused to metal), gold alloys, and base metal alloys, but we at Deluxe Dental choose to offer crowns that are made with porcelain.
Porcelain is the best choice for people who prefer to have a natural-looking restoration and those who have metal allergies without sacrificing durability. Crowns made of porcelain are also stain-resistant, so there is no need for patients to worry about its look in the long run.
Crown Procedure: What to Expect
- As with any other procedures, it all starts with a consultation for the dentist to check and make sure that crowns would be the best solution for the dental need of a patient. X-rays may be required to check the status of the root and bones. If they find that there is a higher risk of infection, a root canal treatment may be performed first.
- Once the patient is verified to be a suitable candidate for a crown, the area around the site will be numbed to guarantee the patient’s comfort throughout the treatment.
- The tooth that would receive the prosthesis will be filed down to make way for its placement. The amount of tooth to be removed usually depends on the type of crown being used. If there are areas in the tooth that had been removed due to decay, a filling can be applied by the dentist to make sure that there will be no underlying issue.
- If the tooth preparation is completed, impressions would be taken to serve as the basis for the correct form of the crown.
- Typically, the patient would only be provided a temporary prosthesis while waiting for the off-site lab to create the custom-made crown. But here at Deluxe Dental, we work differently with the help of CEREC. Crowns can be formed and prepared on the same day as the consultation. Patients can leave the office with a complete and improved set of teeth without having to settle for permanent placements.
Thanks to the continuous advancements in dentistry, patients can now restore their teeth more comfortably and conveniently without compromising its appearance and function, thanks to CEREC porcelain crowns!
Restore and strengthen your teeth through Dental Crowns in San Diego, CA. Contact Deluxe Dental to book your appointment. We are located at 3330 Third Ave., Suite #302, San Diego, CA 92103.